KU Center for Genomics Symposium
May 2024 KUCG Symposium
The KU Center for Genomics is currently planning to hold its third annual research symposium to discuss the innovative work happening across the region in genomics and genetics. The symposium will take place on May 17, 2024.
What to expect
- The presentation spots are open to anyone doing genomics/genetics research.
- Postdocs, graduate students, undergraduate researchers, technicians, and other research staff are especially encouraged to submit abstracts.
- Due to space and time limitations, only a subset of the total submitted abstracts may be selected for posters and talks.
- Awards will be give to the 1st and 2nd place talk and poster presentations (for students, postdocs, and research staff only).
- The symposium will be one full day in person.
We invite attendees to participate in a friendly Up-Goer Five Challenge:
- The Up-Goer Five Challenge was inspired by an xkcd comic and asks scientists to explain their research using only the 1,000—or, as the comic puts it, “ten hundred”—most commonly used English words. Challengers can use the Up-Goer Five Text Editor to help them prepare summaries. Please limit summaries to 250 words or fewer. Examples can be found here.
- Up-Goer Five participants will present their summaries during happy hour. Please indicate your interest in participating when you register.
- Participants will be expected to script their summaries before the symposium and read them aloud at the end of the symposium.
- An award will be given to the person who receives the most audience votes after the competition.
- The symposium is free (no fees for any participants).
- Complimentary breakfast (continental) and lunch will be provided.
- Happy Hour: 2 drink tickets will be provided. A cash bar will be available for additional drinks. Please bring an ID if you wish to drink.
- Public parking is available in streets and garages near the venue, typically for less than $10 for the day.
- Contact information if you have any questions, concerns, or comments email firstname.lastname@example.org
2023 KU Center for Genomics Symposium winnersPoster Presentations:
1st - Siddharth Shivanandan (Stowers Institute for Medical Research)
2nd - Stefanie Williams (Stowers Institute for Medical Research)
1st - Samuel Campbell (Stowers Institute for Medical Research)
2nd - Katie Hanson (University of Kansas)
Up-Goer 5 Challenge:
1st - Lydia Sykora (University of Kansas)